Peter practices in the area of complex business litigation, with an emphasis on commercial disputes and the prosecution of director, officer, and fiduciary liability claims. He also advises corporate clients regarding compliance with state, national, and international data privacy laws, including various state data protection and breach notification statutes, the Federal Trade Commission Act, and the General Data Protection Regulation. Peter also negotiates and drafts vendor agreements, master services agreements, statements of work, and service level agreements on behalf of corporate clients in the technology sector. Peter is preparing to obtain the Certified Information Privacy Professional designation from the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Before joining Bast Amron, Peter served as a career judicial law clerk to the Honorable James Lawrence King in the Southern District of Florida. In that role, he drafted numerous published opinions and enjoyed primary responsibility for all aspects of the odd-numbered civil and criminal cases on Judge King’s docket, as well as a multi-district litigation matter involving over thirty national banks, In re: Checking Account Overdraft Litigation, MDL No. 2036. Peter’s extensive experience working with the Court has given him a unique insight into federal courtroom procedure, effective legal argumentation, and efficient use of motions and pleadings.
Peter also gained experience at every stage of the litigation process while representing clients in complex civil litigation prior to his clerkship, and he has accrued significant experience drafting appellate briefs in criminal matters in Florida’s Circuit Courts and District Courts of Appeal through his pro bono work on behalf of indigent defendants.
- Represented a global technology company in a post-M&A dispute involving the divestiture of a business unit and the buyer’s subsequent refusal to make an earn-out payment, and successfully prosecuted client’s breach of contract claims through a three-week bifurcated jury trial, successfully argued and obtained directed verdict on a breach of contract claim following the first phase of trial, and secured a judgment for millions in damages and attorneys’ fees, while avoiding liability on a slew of counterclaims ranging from breach of contract to fraud
- Advised an international hotel corporation regarding post-data breach obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation, Mexican federal law, and numerous state data protection and breach notice statutes
- Advised a global technology company and its N. American subsidiaries regarding best management practices for compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation, including preparation of new data privacy policies and new addenda to existing contracts to ensure compliance
- Represented the curator of an estate in litigation against the surety bond for a removed personal representative, resulting in a recovery of $12 million on behalf of creditors
- Represented an import-export company in a multi-million dollar breach of contract claim arising from melamine contamination of powdered milk
- Advised a multi-national energy corporation on potential Superfund liability issues and potential defenses related to a previously-contaminated facility purchased at a state tax auction
- Represented an industrial corporation affected by ex post facto environmental zoning statutes
- Represented a major international sugar farming, manufacturing, and distribution holding company in a ninety-plaintiff labor dispute
- Represented an agricultural cooperative in an Everglades Forever Act discharge permit challenge
Awards and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers,– Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2019
- C.A.L.I. Award for Excellence, Commercial Law, Spring 2012
- Loyola University Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Author, Pitfalls in the “Third Party” and BFPP Defenses to CERCLA Liability, A.B.A. J., Sec. of Litig., Envtl. Litig. E-Newsletter (Summer 2013)
- Editor, Break the Business: Declaring Your Independence and Achieving True Success in the Music Industry. Miami: Corey Klock Publishing, 2016. Print.
Professional and Community Activities
- Dade Legal Aid, Put Something Back, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Young Professionals Council, Member
- Miami-Dade Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter, Member
- Securities Industry and Financial Management Association, Compliance and Legal Society, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Bankruptcy Committee, Member
- Civil Litigation Committee, Member
- Federal Court Committee, Member
- Probate and Guardianship Committee, Member
- Pro Bono/Community Service Committee, Member