Working in a law firm can be stressful, for the lawyers and staff alike. In fact, that is not limited to law firms; working in any office can be stressful.
Most office workers spend the majority of their day sitting in a chair staring at a computer screen. Add in long hours, a little pressure and some tight deadlines, and you have a good recipe for stress. At times, it may seem near impossible to maintain a happy and healthy lifestyle. These days, we seem to constantly hear about the highly coveted “work-life balance.” But, what does that really mean and how do you achieve it? We know that eating well and staying active increases your ability to be productive and happy, but sometimes finding the time to fit it all in can seem overwhelming itself. Here are some quick and easy suggestions for achieving a healthier and positive lifestyle:
- Take breaks every hour or so. Even if you simply stand up and stretch, giving yourself a few minutes to move around will help you to refocus your attention on the task at hand. Regular breaks can also help avoid eye, neck and back problems.
- Invest in a standing or treadmill desk. Staying active while working provides a double benefit. Not only are you moving during your day instead of being sedentary, you are also being productive.
- Pack healthy snacks. It is easy to snack aimlessly while sitting in front of a screen, whether it be a computer or a television. By packing healthy snacks and keeping good choices within reach, you prevent that midafternoon crash where to may tend to reach for something salty or sweet.
- Work as a team. Get a group of co-workers together to go for a walk or hit the gym during lunch or after hours. Being accountable to others will help motivate and encourage you to stay active when you otherwise might be inclined to stay put. Working together also provides a good opportunity to get to know your coworkers better.
- Plan ahead. Last minute assignments and deadlines lead to longer more stressful hours and less sleep. Spend a few minutes over the weekend to check your calendar and get ahead. That way, if something unexpected comes up, you are better equipped to handle it.
- Meditate or practice mindfulness. Taking a few moments to step back and breathe slowly and deeply in a stressful situation will allow you to clear your mind and refocus. Keeping calm and working through a solution is much healthier than stressing out unnecessarily.
- Get some rest! Getting enough sleep is critical to happiness, health and productivity. Our bodies tend to wear out and without a good night’s sleep, you are more susceptible to that nasty cold going around the office.
Incorporating just a couple of these steps into your daily routine will help you find that balance between happiness, health and productivity. Your clients, your coworkers and your body will thank you.